Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Vegetarian Kids

At night after the kiddos have gone to sleep, I wonder if I am screwing them up by making then Vegetarian. There are many "meat" commercials on late night television. Sometimes I think that other kids just don't eat meat AKA picky eaters, but my kids will tell you that they, "Don't eat God's precious creatures." Number One Son starts Cub Scouts this year. I'm sure that they will work with us about food allergies and food choices, but it is the fear of telling them about it that gets me. The "I don't want to deal with this" look. Personally, I'd look up information so I wouldn't screw up and feed someone else's kids something or unintentionally exclude them, but not all folks have the strange brain that I do. Number One Son and Number One Daughter are much more tempted to eat allergic foods than meat. I've seen them shake their head and run at the offering of a hot dog or the, "No Thank You, I don't eat meat." I've kept them pretty sheltered, but I have to admit, I am often surprised what other people consider healthy. maybe I can get up on my high horse because fast, convenient foods are just not an option for us. Cousins eat Fruit Loops and our kids eat chickpeas straight out of the can for snacks.

No comments: