Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Corn Free Divinity

I am so happy that his turned out today. I made this last year and it didn't work. I think my candy thermometer was on the fritz.

1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup light agave nectar
1/2 cup water
1/4 teaspoon salt

2 egg whites at room temperature

Bring sugar, agave nectar, water and salt up to 10 degrees above hard ball (270). While the syrup is bubbling, beat the egg whites in a Kitchen Aid with the whisk attachment until stiff peaks form. When the syrup is at 270, drizzle it into the whipped egg whites at medium high heat. Beat about 5 minutes, until the candy starts to hold shape. Quickly pour out on a pan, cool and cut or, with help, get the candy dropped onto waxed paper before it starts to harden.
My dad really loves this candy, when I was growing up, my mother would use a hand mixer, sometimes to the point of it smoking to make this candy on a cool, not humid day. Three or four of us would drop it on waxed paper before it would start to harden. Today, I dropped about 12 before it started to harden, but all of it was very yummy.

No comments: