Thursday, July 2, 2009

Pan fried chick-peas

Deep frying food really goes against my vow of healthy foods for the kids. Out of necessity (I haven't bought a big jug of oil for our deep fryer), I tried frying chickpeas in a pan. It took some trial and error, but I think I have figured it out. I use a cast iron skillet, cover the bottom with a little oil, let the oil get almost to smoking and then pour in a can of drained chick peas. I learned that it is best not to stir right away. After the spitting, sizzling and popping slows down, I stir until they are mostly brown. The kids love them with carrot catchup. Tonight, they had pan friend chickpeas with sauted mushroom and carrot catchup. I find that the chickpeas go well with earthy foods like mushrooms and dark leafy greens. I've also carmalized the chickpeas by adding white or brown sugar when they are almost done. I let the sugar get hot and bubbly and then pour them on foil sprayed with oil to cool. They sorta taste like crackerjacks :)

No comments: