Monday, February 16, 2009

gluten free, wheat free, oat free, dairy free, rice free, corn free, egg free, potato free, nut free (coconut is in the palm family) CAKE

Today was another dreaded bean day. I hadn't kept up on cooking and drying beans, so I didn't have any bean flour in the pantry, but I did have coconut. I've been meaning to try an egg free coconut cake so today a bare pantry and a hungry bunch got my culinary mind working. This is very yummy! I think if I were to leave out the chocolate, the flax might make it taste a little fishy. If I try it without chocolate, I think I'll add Allspice and or Nutmeg (Number One Daughter and Number Two Son are allergic to Cinnamon)to try and mask the flax seeds. The chocolate did a might fine job of taking care of that for me today. Oven 350*

10 ounces coconut flour (I use unsweetened dried coconut and grind it in my coffee grinder)
1 cup tapioca starch
2 T. flax seed ground in coffee grinder
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 cup water
1-2 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate (optional)
1 T ground toasted sunflower and pumpkin seeds (optional)

Stir all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Add the water and chocolate that has been melted. Stir together in bake in a 8'x 8' baking pan lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle with ground seeds. Bake for 30 minutes, cool, remove from pan and slice.

No comments: