Thursday, February 26, 2009

Abstaining for a vegetarian

I've been a vegetarian for over ten years. My journey to vegetarianism started with Lent. When I was was in high school, many years ago, I gave up meat for Lent. For many years after that, even when I wasn't routinely going to Church, I gave up meat. Lent of 1997 was the last Lent when I gave up meat, I've been a vegetarian since then. I have been healthier, my allergies are better and my skin is so much clearer. I really didn't plan on the kids being vegetarian too, but when Number One Son learned how to spray meat all over my face and I could no longer cover up the flavor, I was glad I knew how to feed him healthy non-meat meals. Number One Daughter immediately broke out in a rash the first time I gave her chicken. I haven't even tried any meat with Number Two Son. Number One Son and I are allergic to at least some fish, and with that family history, it was recommended that we not try fish, at least for a while. No Meat on Fridays, as a concept, is hard for me. I really don't understand why shellfish, fish, lard, tallow and other expensive sea creatures are allowed. I do understand that Jesus called out his fellow Jews for all the rules. It just makes more sense to me that if we abstain from meat, then it should be all meat. We know more about nutrition than we did centuries ago. It is okay not to have any animal flesh (including fish) for a few days out of the week. Our family does have dairy and eggs; although, I think Number One Daughter might be lactose intolerant. So I just eat regular vegetarian foods seven days a week. Our diet is very simple, nothing too fancy, I have to cook so much for the allergy needs that my culinary creativity has taken a backseat, for the time being. I pray that my children continue to eat the simple, mostly bean-based diet, that I put in front of them.

No comments: