Sunday, January 8, 2012

Green Dip

My kids can not eat Spinach, so I usually substitute collard or turnip greens. This tastes better with turnip greens. The frozen variety we use has tiny little cubes of turnips also.
1 # bag frozen turnip greens with turnips
1 pint Daisy brand sour cream
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Cook turnip greens according to package directions. I steam mine in boiling salted water for about 10 minutes. Drain in a colander, put paper towels or a dish towel on top of the greens, while still in the colander and then weight them down to remove as much water as possible. I use a cast iron skillet and a gallon jug of water. Let the greens cool down and then transfer them to a bowl and add the sour cream, salt, onion powder, garlic powder and pepper. Refrigerate for an hour or overnight. We eat Green Dip with baby carrots or celery sticks and on special occasions, sweet potato chips.
I made it twice over the holidays and even the non-allergic folks ate it up. Number Two Son ate it for Christmas dinner :)

1 comment:

John Moorehouse said...

Dear Catholic Mom, Forgive me for contacting you via the comments section, but I am trying to contact as many Catholic moms as possible and this seemed like the best way to go about it. I'll also be advertising on some mom blogs soon. My name is John Moorehouse. I publish Catholic Men's Quarterly and distribute Classics Illustrated comics to the Catholic market. I'd like to invite you to visit www.cifundraiser.com to check out a promotion we are running through Valentine's Day with Catholic wives and mothers in mind. Best regards and God bless you and your family. John Moorehouse