Wednesday, October 7, 2009

RE

I have about 16 children my 3rd grade RE class. From the children's report, 5 can say the Hail Mary and 10 can say the Our Father prayer. Most of these children have made their first communion. I have been working daily so that Number One Son can know the prayers he will use and need to know for his First Holy Communion. I guess I should just relax. He is doing well. I'm still not sure how he is behaving in his RE class. After the first week, he didn't ever want to go back, but each week since then, he has come out with mostly positive things to say. I really hate that they do academic work, there is so much that they can learn without doing search word puzzles. I have kids in my class who are not good readers, but that is okay. Today is the feast of Our Lady of the Rosary. We made it through the beginning, one Glorious mystery and then the closing prayers. They did a good job, even the chatty boys! Immaculate heart of Mary, pray for us now and at the hour of our death, Amen.

2 comments:

Abigail said...

Are you upset that they're using academic work because of the age? Or just in RE in general? We send our freshman home with their chapter to read for the next week each RE class. I actually enjoy when T&M(kinder) and Katie (3rd) bring home activities and worksheets from class. I'm strange though ;)

A.D.D. Honey Bee said...

Well since they are making their First Communion this year , it just seem more pressing to teach them catechism, not academic work IN class. The books have homework, I like that too. I don't like the academic work, I avoid it in my class because they need so much help. Most of my 3 rd graders are ESL and I'm sure that is the case for Number One Son's class too.